for the most complete answer on this question, we will compose a memo that will help you in choosing a site name. The more points that match your chosen name, the better.
Use the domain zone in which your users are located or which will not cause them to distrust. For Belarus, this is the “.by” domain zone (for Russia, this is the “.ru” domain zone, for Kazakhstan, this is the “.kz” domain zone).
Examples of sites in the zone “.by”: tut.by, onliner.by, ont.by, deal.by.
Recently, Cyrillic site names from the “.bel” zone have become increasingly popular. We recommend using Cyrillic names in cases:
- When the name of your site sounds better and / or remembered in Russian
- If you have a beautiful untwisted domain name in the “.by” zone, then buy its counterpart in the Cyrillic “.bel” zone so that another organization does not do this for you and you do not have a competitor with a similar site name < / li>
Examples of sites in the zone “.бел”: ме.бел, онлайнер.бел.
The shorter the name of the site, the better: the easier it is to remember, the easier it is to type.
Examples of short names: tut.by, ont.by, ya.ru.
Understanding the subject
The name of the site should give an idea of the subject of the site.
Examples: president.gov.by, praca.by, dozimetr.by.
Do not use the letters of the Russian alphabet indigestible for transliteration *, i.e. those letters whose spelling with Latin characters is ambiguous and may cause spelling errors:
- Letter [у] — has 2 latin transliterations — [u], [y]
- Letter [я] — has 3 latin transliterations — [ya], [ia], [ja]
- Letter [ё] — has 2 latin transliterations — [yo], [jo]
- Letter [ж] — has 2 latin transliterations — [zh], [j]
- Letter [й] — has 2 latin transliterations — [j], [y]
- Letter [х] — has 2 latin transliterations — [h], [kh]
- Letter [щ] — has 2 latin transliterations — [shch], [shh]
- Letter [ы] — has 1 latin transliteration — [y] – however, users often don’t know the transliteration of letters [ы]
- Letter [ю] — has 3 latin transliterations — [yu], [ju], [iu]
- Letter [я] — has 3 latin transliterations — [ya], [ja], [ia]
- name тут бай — maybe after transliteration as tut.by, так и tyt.by
- name памятники бай — maybe after transliteration as pamyatniki.by, так и pamjatniki.by
Do not use foreign words in the site name, as this may cause difficulties for users who do not speak a foreign language.
- english name Agriculture (agriculture) - site name agriculture.by
- english name MyWedding (my wedding) - site name mywedding.by
Try not to use a hyphen in the site name as a separator. If this cannot be avoided, then use two names with a hyphen and without. After that it will be possible to redirect (redirect) from one name to another.
Two-word Domain Name Example: itg-soft.by и itgsoft.by.
It is not advisable to use site names on subdomains of 2 or more levels. Such names are difficult to remember and more difficult to hear, especially if you dictate the name by phone.
You can use the abbreviation of the organization as the site name if it is well-known or known among its audience.
- Belarusian Union of Theater Workers - bstd.by
- Belarusian Republican Youth Union — brsm.by
Do not use numbers in the domain name unless these numbers are part of the organization’s name or part of the “cultural code” of users.
Examples: 7788.by, 1k.by, 7karat.by, 103.by, 925.by.
1. Well-remembered proper names denoting the word.
Examples: gomel.by, ohota.by.
2. Well-remembered names at first glance similar to "abracadabra." Such names are not immediately remembered, but if you remember it, then for a long time.
3. Well-remembered names based on associations or cultural characteristics (cultural code)
Example: dom2.by - can be associated with the Russian reality show "House 2".
4. Well-remembered names built on the basis of the abbreviations of a word.
- Baranovichi by — Bri by — bri.by
- Application «Maskarad» — Mskrd — MSQRD
Pay attention that the site name is clearly pronounced and, communicating with the client by phone, the latter would not have to ask the site name several times or ask to spell it.
Examples: grejz-legatorij.by, 123.by.
* Transliteration is the exact transfer of characters from one alphabet to characters from another alphabet (in this case, we are talking about translating Cyrillic characters into Latin).